Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Vaginal Obssession

The world renowned musical "Gypsy" is known for many things, but for me it is known for the character Mazeppa who said "You Gotta Have A Gimmick!" The first time i saw that movie, the first time i heard those words, it was intricately engrained in my tiny little head. Years later, when I started my ever growing obsession with burlesque, I always kept that in mind.

I tried many different "gimmicks", but none seemed to truly work for me. I did the goth thing, the fetish thing, the James Bond thing. I even did the tortured trapped soul thing for awhile...very angry...very scary.

I was trying to find myself in a world full of sequins and glitter, full of retro-pinups and beautiful slender bodies. I myself am not a contemporary beauty, I am not a size 2, 4, or 6. I am a shaved headed dyke who would rather don a strap-on than a sequin dress.

Though coming out for me, meant that i knew who i was truly. I experimented with different looks, especially when my hair was concerned. I tried wearing different clothes, really emphasizing that "dyke" look.

With performance though, I still needed that spark. What would I do that would separate me as someone with original and creative ideas? Everyone knows that nothing is original anymore, but a personal take on an object or performance art can be. I was on a mission to "gay-ify" my work.

I was heavily inspired by a fellow queer performer extraordinare, and though I know i can hone my skills and become an amazing performer myself, for now I am relegated to being in her shadow. It's ok though as I am still a babydyke and am quickly coming into my own.

Then came an idea that sounded bigger than I could take on. An idea that in itself sounds like i had truly lost my performance mind, but then again what artist hasn't in a way.

I had already stripped out of a giant Hershey Kiss costume...why couldn't I strip out of a giant pussy costume?

The idea came to me months ago but I hesitated working on the project due to the innate fear of not being able to pull it off.

but after 60+ hours...or more...THIS is what I came up with...



I guess this is one way to make a gimmick for a young genderqueer....giggles

1 comments:

Joy Leftow said...

This video is too cute for words girl- you got it going on.
You have more creativity than you know what to do with.

 
The Vagina Adventures © 2007 Template feito por Áurea R.C.